Marriage License

Requirements for Marriage License Applications 


Marriage license applications are completed at the Fulton County Probate Court located on the main floor of the Fulton County Courthouse in Wauseon, Ohio. You are required to complete the on-line application, wait 24 hours, then call the Court at 419-337-9242 to schedule your appointment (appointment times available are 9:00 am - 11:30 am and 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm) to complete the marriage license application process. The office is closed on legal holidays.

  • Beginning July 1, 2020 the fee for a marriage license will be $43.00; the Court accepts cash or checks for payment.


Pursuant to Ohio Revised Code Section 3101.10 you must be registered with the State of Ohio, Secretary of State Office(, to solemnize marriages in the State of Ohio. The Application (FORM 8001) for this is on the State site. A fee of $10.00 is to be accompanied with this application and it takes 2 to 3 business days to record; this only needs to be processed once, then you have a lifetime registration to perform ceremonies. If you have any questions concerning this matter please either contact the Secretary of State Office or the Probate Court Office.

Fill Out Your Marriage License Form Online!

Residency Requirement:

- If you are an Ohio resident, you must apply for your marriage license in the county in which at least one of you resides. You are then able to be married anywhere in the state of Ohio.

- If both parties are out-of-state residents and wish to apply in Fulton County, the marriage must be solemnized in Fulton County, Ohio.

Proof of Age and Residence:

  • Both parties must be 18 or older. (Otherwise, special rules for juveniles apply. Call the Probate Court for more information 419-337-9242.)
  • Acceptable forms of identification include a valid driver’s license or a state I.D. card AND a birth certificate issued by a health department or vital records office, or a valid current passport.
  • Additional documents accepted for proving your current address include a check, bill or signed lease.
  • For any party who had a legal name change, he/she will need to bring a copy of that Judgement entry.

If one or both parties have been previously married, he/she will need to bring a copy of the most recent final divorce, dissolution, or annulment decree, which must have the Court’s file stamp and Judge’s signature.

If you are a widow/widower there is no additional documentation required.

The license will be invalid, if not used within 60 days.

There is no waiting period to receive your marriage license (provided you have all the required documentation) and no blood test is required.

You must provide a social security number if you have obtained one.

Contact the Fulton County Probate Court if you have any questions 419-337-9242.